Contemporary Worship Leader
Thank you for your interest. Ready to move forward? Here are your next steps.
1. Read the job description below (download a copy here)
2. Apply here
3. Send a resume to Matt Hoehne, Director of Worship (firstname.lastname@example.org). Questions? Ask Matt.
4. Check out the pictures below for a glimpse of worship at Our Father.
As an employee of Our Father Lutheran Church, the Contemporary Worship Leader (CWL) should be dedicated to the overall ministry of the community of believers at Our Father Lutheran Church. It should be the CWL’s desire to see that their ministry glorifies the name of Jesus Christ through word and action. Through leadership, support, sacrifice, love and service, the CWL will specialize in growing God’s people in their faith, service, and outreach through the contemporary worship and music ministries. As a member of the professional leadership team of this congregation, the CWL should seek to use their gifts as a means of equipping others in doing the work of ministry. The Contemporary Worship Leader position is a flexible, part-time position (12-15hrs/wk). Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
MINISTRY IN CONGREGATIONAL WORSHIP LIFE
1. Serve as the primary worship leader (lead the band) for the contemporary service.
2. Plan worship in conjunction with the Director of Worship.
3. Assist in the development and creation of orders of worship for the contemporary service.
4. Develop, implement, and coordinate opportunities for the use of appropriate media and performing arts in worship.
Music for Contemporary Worship
1. Select music appropriate for use in worship, prepare for spoken and/or pray transitions as necessary.
2. Communicate band set-up/musicians list to the Sound Engineer in advance of the weekly band rehearsal.
3. Recruit, train, hire (when necessary), and disciple musicians for the contemporary service.
LEADERSHIP AND ADMINISTRATION
1. Work closely with the Director of Worship in planning worship for the contemporary service.
2. Assist in the annual budget preparations by communicating equipment,
personnel, and other needs to the Director of Worship.
3. Communicate music, service plans, and projection plans to the Worship Assistant in advance of the weekly band rehearsal.
4. Supervise and/or maintain a database and music library for the contemporary service.
The Contemporary Worship Leader is to work closely with the staff, striving for a partnership that is God-pleasing and beneficial to the congregation. The CWL is accountable to the Director of Worship for their day to day work and in all areas pertaining to this position.
Education, training, experience:
1. Demonstrated proficiency with voice and instrument.
2. At least 3 years of experience (preferred) in leading a congregation and contemporary worship band in worship.
3. Openness and willingness to commit to Lutheran doctrine and theology.
4. Familiarity with music software as needed – i.e. Planning Center, notation, etc.
5. Desire and willingness to grow personally and professionally in musicianship and in understanding of Lutheran worship in a contemporary setting.
6. Excellent interpersonal skills.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Excellent leadership and facilitation skills.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.