22nd OFLC Alternative Thanksgiving
Ysleta Lutheran Mission
El Paso TX and Juarez, Mexico
November 22-26, 2017
Want to help but can’t go with us? You can sign up for items at the display in the Narthex, purchase them and return them to the church by November 19 (cooked turkeys can arrive up to November 22). Some of the items we need are:
- Cooked turkeys
- Potato Mix
- Cake Mix
- Salt, Garlic Powder and Dry Gravy Mix
- Powdered Milk
- Cooking Supplies
- Left over Halloween Candy
- Cash or Wal-Mart Gift Cards
Information for those traveling with us.
What will we do there?
We’ll prepare and serve Thanksgiving meals for as many as 1000 hungry souls over three days at Ysleta Lutheran Mission in El Paso and its affiliated mission churches across the border in the Juarez area. Additional service projects will also be available to volunteers.
Where will we stay and what will we eat?
We will stay in the dorms at Ysleta Mission compound in El Paso, TX. Members of our group will prepare 7 meals on Thursday through Saturday. Rita, the mission cook, will prepare two special Mexican dinners for Friday and Saturday night.
Where will we serve and how will we get there?
We will serve at Ysleta Lutheran Mission and in two or three areas on the outskirts of Juarez, Mexico. We will be transported there and back each day in mission vans by mission personnel during daylight hours.
What about border crossings?
If you are 16 yrs or older, you will need a passport or a passport card to return to the U.S. after our work in Mexico. Children under 16 yrs can return using a notarized birth certificate for ID along with the mission’s permission to travel form.
Children under 18 yrs traveling without a parent will need to complete and return appropriate notarized forms with the mission work provided for you. Questions? Contact Carol Hill at 303-941-0824.
- $150 per person – includes transportation, lodging and 9 meals. Cost per family tops out at $450 for the first three family members, plus $35 apiece for each additional member of the same family. The $35 covers food and kitchen expenses for the meals, including two special homemade Mexican dinners.
- Make checks payable to OFLC and leave in Tom Stuebe’s church mail box or contact the church office for other payment arrangements.